- •Galectin-3 was associated with renal dysfunction, renal tubular damage and myocardial injury in acute heart failure.
- •Higher Galctin-3 levels predicted in-hospital adverse events and higher 1-year mortality rates.
- •Galectin-3 may help to identify patients at higher risk for cardiorenal adverse events and worse prognoses.
Methods and Results
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Renal impairment, worsening renal function, and outcome in patients with heart failure: an updated meta-analysis.Eur Heart J. 2014; 35: 455-469
- Relationship of kidney injury biomarkers with long-term cardiovascular outcomes after cardiac surgery.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017; 28: 3699-3707
- Intermediate and long-term outcomes of survivors of acute kidney injury episodes: a large population-based cohort study.Am J Kidney Dis. 2017; 69: 18-28
- Cardiovascular consequences of acute kidney injury.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 2238-2247
- Galectin-3: a novel mediator of heart failure development and progression.Eur J Heart Fail. 2009; 11: 811-817
- Tubular atrophy and interstitial fibrosis after renal transplantation is dependent on galectin-3.Transplantation. 2012; 93: 477-484
- Acute kidney injury induces remote cardiac damage and dysfunction through the galectin-3 pathway.JACC Basic Transl Sci. 2019; 4: 717-732
- Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin for acute kidney injury during acute heart failure hospitalizations: the AKINESIS Study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016; 68: 1420-1431
- Potential utility of cardiorenal biomarkers for prediction and prognostication of worsening renal function in acute heart failure.J Card Fail. 2020; 27: 533-541
- Acute Kidney Injury Network: report of an initiative to improve outcomes in acute kidney injury.Crit Care. 2007; 11: R31
- KDIGO clinical practice guidelines for acute kidney injury.Nephron Clin Pract. 2012; 120: c179-c184
- Accuracy of neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL) in diagnosis and prognosis in acute kidney injury: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Kidney Dis. 2009; 54: 1012-1024
- B-type natriuretic peptide trend predicts clinical significance of worsening renal function in acute heart failure.Eur J Heart Fail. 2019; 21: 1553-1560
- Effect of serelaxin on cardiac, renal, and hepatic biomarkers in the Relaxin in Acute Heart Failure (RELAX-AHF) development program: correlation with outcomes.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013; 61: 196-206
- Predictive value of plasma galectin-3 levels in heart failure with reduced and preserved ejection fraction.Ann Med. 2011; 43: 60-68
- Galectin-3 in ambulatory patients with heart failure: results from the HF-ACTION study.Circ Heart Fail. 2012; 5: 72-78
- Diuretic strategies in patients with acute decompensated heart failure.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 797-805
- Early intervention with erythropoietin does not affect the outcome of acute kidney injury (the EARLYARF trial).Kidney Int. 2010; 77: 1020-1030
- The metamorphosis of acute renal failure to acute kidney injury.Basic Nephrol Acute Kidn Inj. 2012; 6: 125-150
- Predicting mortality among patients hospitalized for heart failure: derivation and validation of a clinical model.JAMA. 2003; 290: 2581-2587
- Risk stratification after hospitalization for decompensated heart failure.J Card Fail. 2004; 10: 460-466
- Triage after hospitalization with advanced heart failure: the ESCAPE (Evaluation Study of Congestive Heart Failure and Pulmonary Artery Catheterization Effectiveness) risk model and discharge score.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 55: 872-878
- Cardiac troponin and outcome in acute heart failure.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 2117-2126
- The role of galectin-3 in the kidneys.Int J Mol Sci. 2016; 17: 565
- Potential utility of cardiorenal biomarkers for prediction and prognostication of worsening renal function in acute heart failure.J Card Fail. 2021; 27: 533-541
- Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin as a biomarker of acute kidney injury: where do we stand today?.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2011; 26: 762-764
- High-sensitivity assays for troponin in patients with cardiac disease.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2017; 14: 472-483
- Fourth universal definition of myocardial infarction (2018).Circulation. 2018; 138: e618-e651
- Cardiorenal syndrome type 3: pathophysiologic and epidemiologic considerations.Contrib Nephrol. 2013; 182: 137-157
- Urine metabolomics insight into acute kidney injury point to oxidative stress disruptions in energy generation and H2S availability.J Mol Med (Berl). 2017; 95: 1399-1409
- Myocardial fibrosis detected by magnetic resonance in systemic sclerosis patients: relationship with biochemical and echocardiography parameters.Int J Cardiol. 2017; 249: 448-453
- Utility of amino-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide, galectin-3, and apelin for the evaluation of patients with acute heart failure.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006; 48: 1217-1224
- Galectin-3, cardiac structure and function, and long-term mortality in patients with acutely decompensated heart failure.Eur J Heart Fail. 2010; 12: 826-832