- •Galectin-3 was associated with renal dysfunction, renal tubular damage and myocardial injury in acute heart failure.
- •Higher Galctin-3 levels predicted in-hospital adverse events and higher 1-year mortality rates.
- •Galectin-3 may help to identify patients at higher risk for cardiorenal adverse events and worse prognoses.
Galectin-3, a biomarker of inflammation and fibrosis, can be associated with renal and myocardial damage and dysfunction in patients with acute heart failure (AHF).
Methods and Results
We retrospectively analyzed 790 patients with AHF who were enrolled in the AKINESIS study. During hospitalization, patients with galectin-3 elevation (> 25.9 ng/mL) on admission more commonly had acute kidney injury (assessed by KDIGO criteria), renal tubular damage (peak urine neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin [uNGAL] > 150 ng/dL) and myocardial injury (≥ 20% increase in the peak high-sensitivity cardiac troponin I [hs-cTnI] values compared to admission). They less commonly had ≥ 30% reduction in B-type natriuretic peptide from admission to last measured value. In multivariable linear regression analysis, galectin-3 was negatively associated with estimated glomerular filtration rate and positively associated with uNGAL and hs-cTnI. Higher galectin-3 was associated with renal replacement therapy, inotrope use and mortality during hospitalization. In univariable Cox regression analysis, higher galectin-3 was associated with increased risk for the composite of death or rehospitalization due to HF and death alone at 1 year. After multivariable adjustment, higher galectin-3 levels were associated only with death.
In patients with AHF, higher galectin-3 values were associated with renal dysfunction, renal tubular damage and myocardial injury, and they predicted worse outcomes.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiac Failure
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Renal impairment, worsening renal function, and outcome in patients with heart failure: an updated meta-analysis.Eur Heart J. 2014; 35: 455-469
- Relationship of kidney injury biomarkers with long-term cardiovascular outcomes after cardiac surgery.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017; 28: 3699-3707
- Intermediate and long-term outcomes of survivors of acute kidney injury episodes: a large population-based cohort study.Am J Kidney Dis. 2017; 69: 18-28
- Cardiovascular consequences of acute kidney injury.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 2238-2247
- Galectin-3: a novel mediator of heart failure development and progression.Eur J Heart Fail. 2009; 11: 811-817
- Tubular atrophy and interstitial fibrosis after renal transplantation is dependent on galectin-3.Transplantation. 2012; 93: 477-484
- Acute kidney injury induces remote cardiac damage and dysfunction through the galectin-3 pathway.JACC Basic Transl Sci. 2019; 4: 717-732
- Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin for acute kidney injury during acute heart failure hospitalizations: the AKINESIS Study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016; 68: 1420-1431
- Potential utility of cardiorenal biomarkers for prediction and prognostication of worsening renal function in acute heart failure.J Card Fail. 2020; 27: 533-541
- Acute Kidney Injury Network: report of an initiative to improve outcomes in acute kidney injury.Crit Care. 2007; 11: R31
- KDIGO clinical practice guidelines for acute kidney injury.Nephron Clin Pract. 2012; 120: c179-c184
- Accuracy of neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL) in diagnosis and prognosis in acute kidney injury: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Kidney Dis. 2009; 54: 1012-1024
- B-type natriuretic peptide trend predicts clinical significance of worsening renal function in acute heart failure.Eur J Heart Fail. 2019; 21: 1553-1560
- Effect of serelaxin on cardiac, renal, and hepatic biomarkers in the Relaxin in Acute Heart Failure (RELAX-AHF) development program: correlation with outcomes.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013; 61: 196-206
- Predictive value of plasma galectin-3 levels in heart failure with reduced and preserved ejection fraction.Ann Med. 2011; 43: 60-68
- Galectin-3 in ambulatory patients with heart failure: results from the HF-ACTION study.Circ Heart Fail. 2012; 5: 72-78
- Diuretic strategies in patients with acute decompensated heart failure.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 797-805
- Early intervention with erythropoietin does not affect the outcome of acute kidney injury (the EARLYARF trial).Kidney Int. 2010; 77: 1020-1030
- The metamorphosis of acute renal failure to acute kidney injury.Basic Nephrol Acute Kidn Inj. 2012; 6: 125-150
- Predicting mortality among patients hospitalized for heart failure: derivation and validation of a clinical model.JAMA. 2003; 290: 2581-2587
- Risk stratification after hospitalization for decompensated heart failure.J Card Fail. 2004; 10: 460-466
- Triage after hospitalization with advanced heart failure: the ESCAPE (Evaluation Study of Congestive Heart Failure and Pulmonary Artery Catheterization Effectiveness) risk model and discharge score.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 55: 872-878
- Cardiac troponin and outcome in acute heart failure.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 2117-2126
- The role of galectin-3 in the kidneys.Int J Mol Sci. 2016; 17: 565
- Potential utility of cardiorenal biomarkers for prediction and prognostication of worsening renal function in acute heart failure.J Card Fail. 2021; 27: 533-541
- Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin as a biomarker of acute kidney injury: where do we stand today?.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2011; 26: 762-764
- High-sensitivity assays for troponin in patients with cardiac disease.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2017; 14: 472-483
- Fourth universal definition of myocardial infarction (2018).Circulation. 2018; 138: e618-e651
- Cardiorenal syndrome type 3: pathophysiologic and epidemiologic considerations.Contrib Nephrol. 2013; 182: 137-157
- Urine metabolomics insight into acute kidney injury point to oxidative stress disruptions in energy generation and H2S availability.J Mol Med (Berl). 2017; 95: 1399-1409
- Myocardial fibrosis detected by magnetic resonance in systemic sclerosis patients: relationship with biochemical and echocardiography parameters.Int J Cardiol. 2017; 249: 448-453
- Utility of amino-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide, galectin-3, and apelin for the evaluation of patients with acute heart failure.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006; 48: 1217-1224
- Galectin-3, cardiac structure and function, and long-term mortality in patients with acutely decompensated heart failure.Eur J Heart Fail. 2010; 12: 826-832
Published online: October 31, 2022
Accepted: September 28, 2022
Received in revised form: September 28, 2022
Received: May 28, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.