- •High heterogeneity exists in health care use by patients with heart failure for various services.
- •A small subgroup of high users utilized the majority of acute and ambulatory care resources.
- •High outpatient use was associated with high acute-care use.
- •Faster change in the severity of illness increased the likelihood of high use.
- •Group-based trajectory modeling complements 30-day readmission rate as a means of improving care for those with heart failure.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiac Failure
- American Heart Association Council on Epidemiology and Prevention Statistics Committee and Stroke Statistics Subcommittee. Heart disease and stroke statistics–2020 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2020; 141: e139-e596
- A systematic review of medical costs associated with heart failure in the USA (2014–2020).Pharmacoeconomics. 2020; 38: 1219-1236
- Burden and timing of hospitalizations in heart failure: A community study.Mayo Clin Proc. 2017; 92: 184-192
- Trends in hospital readmission of Medicare-covered patients with heart failure.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019; 73: 1004-1012
- Characteristics and health care utilization among patients with chronic heart failure: a longitudinal claim database analysis.ESC Heart Fail. 2019; 6: 1243-1251
- Continuity and utilization of health and community care in elderly patients with heart failure before and after hospitalization.BMC Geriatr. 2018; 18: 177
- Effect of continuity of care on hospital utilization for seniors with multiple medical conditions in an integrated health care system.Ann Fam Med. 2015; 13: 123-129
- Advances in group-based trajectory modeling and an SAS procedure for estimating them.Sociol Methods Res. 2007; 35: 542-571
- The REporting of studies Conducted using Observational Routinely-collected health Data (RECORD) statement.PLoS Med. 2015; 12e1001885
- The DEDUCE Guided Query tool: providing simplified access to clinical data for research and quality improvement.J Biomed Inform. 2011; 44: 266-276
- R: a language and environment for statistical computing [computer program].R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2013 (Version 3.6.3.)
- Determining 30-day readmission risk for heart failure patients: the Readmission After Heart Failure scale.Int J Gen Med. 2018; 11: 127-141
- Predicting 30-day mortality and 30-day rehospitalization risks in Medicare patients with heart failure discharged to skilled nursing facilities: development and validation of models using administrative data.J Nurs Home Res Sci. 2019; 5: 60-67
- Clinical and socioeconomic predictors of heart failure readmissions: A review of contemporary literature.Mayo Clin Proc. 2019; 94: 1304-1320
- Excess 30-day heart failure readmissions and mortality in Black patients increases with neighborhood deprivation.Circ Heart Fail. 2020; 13e007947
- Introduction of an area deprivation index measuring patient socioeconomic status in an integrated health system: implications for population health.EGEMS (Washington, DC). 2016; 4: 1238
- Updating and validating the Charlson comorbidity index and score for risk adjustment in hospital discharge abstracts using data from 6 countries.Am J Epidemiol. 2011; 173: 676-682
Averill RF, Goldfield N, Hughes JS, Bonazelli J, McCullough EC, Steinbeck BA, et al. CT: 3M Health Information Systems. All patient refined diagnosis related groups (APR-DRGs) version 20.0: Methodology overview. 2003;91:7-81.
- A stepwise guide to the diagnosis and treatment of heart failure with preserved ejection fraction.J Card Fail. 2022; 28: 1016-1030
IBM SPSS statistics for Windows [computer program]. Version 27.0. IBM, Armonk, NY, 2020.
Little RJA. A test of missing completely at random for multivariate data with missing values. Journal of the American Statistical Association. 1988;83(404):1198–1202
- Long-term trends of use of health service among heart failure patients.Eur Heart J Qual Care Clin Outcomes. 2018; 4: 220-231
- Characterization of high healthcare utilizer groups using administrative data from an electronic medical record database.BMC Health Serv Res. 2019; 452: 1-14
- Individual income, mortality and healthcare resource use in patients with chronic heart failure living in a universal healthcare system: a population-based study in Catalonia, Spain.Int J Cardiol. 2019; 277: 250-257
- The intersection of patient complexity, prescriber continuity and acute care utilization.J Gen Intern Med. 2014; 29: 594-601
- Cost containment and the tale of care coordination.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 2218-2220
- Advanced (stage D) heart failure: a statement from the Heart Failure Society of America Guidelines Committee.J Card Fail. 2015; 21: 519-534
- Association of severity of illness and intensive care unit readmission: a systematic review.Heart Lung. 2016; 45 (3–9.e2)
- Racial and ethnic differences in trajectories of hospitalization in US men and women with heart failure.J Am Heart Assoc. 2017; 11: e006290
- Addressing social determinants of health in the care of patients with heart failure: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2020; 141: e841-e863