- •Among Black adults, one-quarter had new or stable elevated troponin on follow-up.
- •Incident elevation in troponin was associated with a higher risk of heart failure.
- •Stable or worsened elevated troponin was associated with a higher heart failure risk.
Methods and Results
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Heart disease and stroke statistics-2020 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2020; 141: e139-e596
- Racial differences in incident heart failure among young adults.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 1179-1190
- Trends in hospitalizations and survival of acute decompensated heart failure in four US communities (2005-2014): ARIC Study Community Surveillance.Circulation. 2018; 138: 12-24
- Physical activity, fitness, and obesity in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction.JACC Heart Fail. 2018; 6: 975-982
- Differences in the incidence of congestive heart failure by ethnicity: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis.Arch Intern Med. 2008; 168: 2138-2145
- Association of troponin T detected with a highly sensitive assay and cardiac structure and mortality risk in the general population.JAMA. 2010; 304: 2503-2512
- Cardiac troponin T measured by a highly sensitive assay predicts coronary heart disease, heart failure, and mortality in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study.Circulation. 2011; 123: 1367-1376
- High-sensitive cardiac troponin T as an early biochemical signature for clinical and subclinical heart failure: MESA (Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis).Circulation. 2017; 135: 1494-1505
- Association of cardiac injury and malignant left ventricular hypertrophy with risk of heart failure in African Americans: the Jackson Heart Study.JAMA Cardiol. 2019; 4: 51-58
- Association of serial measures of cardiac troponin T using a sensitive assay with incident heart failure and cardiovascular mortality in older adults.JAMA. 2010; 304: 2494-2502
- Long-term trajectory of two unique cardiac biomarkers and subsequent left ventricular structural pathology and risk of incident heart failure in community-dwelling older adults at low baseline risk.JACC Heart Fail. 2013; 1: 353-360
- Six-year change in high-sensitivity cardiac troponin T and risk of subsequent coronary heart disease, heart failure, and death.JAMA Cardiol. 2016; 1: 519-528
- High-sensitivity troponin I and incident coronary events, stroke, heart failure hospitalization, and mortality in the ARIC study.Circulation. 2019; 139: 2642-2653
Taylor HA, Jr., Wilson JG, Jones DW, et al. Toward resolution of cardiovascular health disparities in African Americans: design and methods of the Jackson Heart Study. Ethn Dis 2005;15:S6–4–17.
- Recruiting African-American research participation in the Jackson Heart Study: methods, response rates, and sample description.Ethn Dis. 2005; 15 (S6–18–29)
- A new equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 150: 604-612
- Prevalence and awareness of CKD among African Americans: the Jackson Heart Study.Am J Kidney Dis. 2009; 53: 238-247
- Physical activity assessment methods in the Jackson Heart Study.Ethn Dis. 2005; 15 (S6–56–61)
- Sedentary behavior and subclinical atherosclerosis in African Americans: cross-sectional analysis of the Jackson heart study.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2016; 13: 31
- Physical activity and incident hypertension in African Americans: the Jackson Heart Study.Hypertension. 2017; 69: 421-427
- Physical activity, subclinical myocardial injury, and risk of heart failure subtypes in Black adults.JACC Heart Fail. 2021; 9: 484-493
- 2013 ACC/AHA guideline on the assessment of cardiovascular risk: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines.Circulation. 2014; 129: S49-S73
- Calibration of blood pressure measurements in the Jackson Heart Study.Blood Press Monit. 2019; 24: 130-136
- Analytical characteristics of high-sensitivity cardiac troponin assays.Clin Chem. 2012; 58: 54-61
- Cardiovascular disease event classification in the Jackson Heart Study: methods and procedures.Ethn Dis. 2005; 15 (S6–62–70)
- Cigarette smoking and incident heart failure: insights from the Jackson Heart Study.Circulation. 2018; 137: 2572-2582
- A proportional hazards model for the subdistribution of a competing risk.J Am Stat Assoc. 1999; 94: 496-509
- Association of cardiovascular biomarkers with incident heart failure with preserved and reduced ejection fraction.JAMA Cardiol. 2018; 3: 215-224
- Disparities in cardiovascular mortality related to heart failure in the United States.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019; 73: 2354-2355
- Epidemiology and one-year outcomes in patients with chronic heart failure and preserved, mid-range and reduced ejection fraction: an analysis of the ESC Heart Failure Long-Term Registry.Eur J Heart Fail. 2017; 19: 1574-1585
- Coronary microvascular dysfunction and future risk of heart failure with preserved ejection fraction.Eur Heart J. 2018; 39: 840-849
- Older Adults, "malignant" left ventricular hypertrophy, and associated cardiac-specific biomarker phenotypes to identify the differential risk of new-onset reduced versus preserved ejection fraction heart failure: CHS (Cardiovascular Health Study).JACC Heart Fail. 2015; 3: 445-455
- Association between circulating troponin concentrations, left ventricular systolic and diastolic functions, and incident heart failure in older adults.JAMA Cardiol. 2019; 4: 997-1006
- Physical activity, change in biomarkers of myocardial stress and injury, and subsequent heart failure risk in older adults.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012; 60: 2539-2547
- Impact of moderate physical activity on the longitudinal trajectory of a cardiac specific biomarker of injury: results from a randomized pilot study of exercise intervention.Am Heart J. 2016; 179: 151-156
- Incorporation of biomarkers into risk assessment for allocation of antihypertensive medication according to the 2017 ACC/AHA high blood pressure guideline: a pooled cohort analysis.Circulation. 2019; 140: 2076-2088