- •Simultaneous heart-kidney transplants are becoming more common in patients with left ventricular assist devices (LVADs) and chronic kidney disease.
- •This study shows that both short- and long-term survival is worse in patients with simultaneous heart-kidney transplants than in patients with orthotopic heart transplants when patients have chronic kidney disease and LVADs.
- •Further investigation is needed to determine whether kidney-after-heart transplant would be a better strategy for patients with LVADs needing both cardiac and renal transplants.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons Intermacs 2019 Annual Report: The Changing Landscape of Devices and Indications.Ann Thorac Surg. 2020; 109 (Jr.): 649-660
- Relationship between renal function and left ventricular assist device use.Ann Thorac Surg. 2006; 81: 1745-1751
- Left Ventricular Assist Devices and the Kidney.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2018; 13: 348-355
- Prevalence and prognostic importance of changes in renal function after mechanical circulatory support.Circ Heart Fail. 2014; 7: 68-75
- Impact of Continuous Flow Left Ventricular Assist Device Therapy on Chronic Kidney Disease: A Longitudinal Multicenter Study.J Card Fail. 2020; 26: 333-341
- An early investigation of outcomes with the new 2018 donor heart allocation system in the United States.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2020; 39: 1-4
- Changes in Use of Left Ventricular Assist Devices as Bridge to Transplantation With New Heart Allocation Policy.J Am Coll Cardiol HF. 2021; 9: 420-429
- Ten-year follow-up in patients with combined heart and kidney transplantation.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2003; 126: 2065-2071
- Need for improvements in simultaneous heart-kidney allocation: The limitation of pretransplant glomerular filtration rate.Am J Transplant. 2021; 21: 2468-2478
- Outcomes of simultaneous heart-kidney transplant in the US: a retrospective analysis using OPTN/UNOS data.Am J Transplant. 2009; 9: 844-852
- Bridge with a left ventricular assist device to a simultaneous heart and kidney transplant: Review of the United Network for Organ Sharing database.J Card Surg. 2017; 32: 209-214
- Use of ventricular assist device as bridge to simultaneous heart and kidney transplantation in patients with cardiac and renal failure.Transplant Proc. 2013; 45: 2378-2383
- Combined heart-kidney transplant improves post-transplant survival compared with isolated heart transplant in recipients with reduced glomerular filtration rate: Analysis of 593 combined heart-kidney transplants from the United Network Organ Sharing Database.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014; 147: 456-461.e1
- The survival benefit of simultaneous heart-kidney transplantation extends beyond dialysis-dependent patients.Ann Thorac Surg. 2015; 99: 1321-1327
- Use of durable mechanical circulatory support on outcomes of heart-kidney transplantation.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2018; 27: 773-777
- Mechanical circulatory support and simultaneous heart-kidney transplantation: An outcome analysis.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2016; 35: 203-212
- National outcomes of bridge to multiorgan cardiac transplantation using mechanical circulatory support.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2021; (Online ahead of print)
- Acquired von Willebrand syndrome associated with left ventricular assist device.Blood. 2016; 127: 3133-3141
- Combined heart and kidney transplantation provides an excellent survival and decreases risk of cardiac cellular rejection and coronary allograft vasculopathy.Transplant Proc. 2011; 43: 1871-1876
- Heart and kidney transplant: should they be combined or subsequent?.ESC Heart Fail. 2020; 7: 2734-2743
- Combined Heart-Kidney Transplant Versus Sequential Kidney Transplant in Heart Transplant Recipients.J Card Fail. 2020; 26: 574-579