Clinical Trial Registration
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiac Failure
- Seventh INTERMACS annual report: 15,000 patients and counting.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2015; 34: 1495-1504
- Pumped up, but not prepared: examining LVAD-DT patients’ comprehension of advance directive specifications.J Card Fail. 2012; 18: S37
- “Too sick to understand”: doctor-patient device communication falls short.Medscape. September 19, 2012;
- Assessment of patients’ and caregivers’ informational and decisional needs for left ventricular assist device placement: implications for informed consent and shared decision-making.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2015; 34: 1182-1189
- Decision making for destination therapy left ventricular assist devices “there was no choice” versus “I thought about it an awful lot.”.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2014; 7: 374-380
- Challenges in deactivating a total artificial heart for a patient with capacity.Chest. 2014; 145: 625-631
- Clarification of the intent of ventricular assist devices before patient consent.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013; 145: 1423-1425
- The ethics of mechanical support: the need for new guidelines.Ann Thorac Surg. 2011; 92: 1939
- Decision making in advanced heart failure a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2012; 125: 1928-1952
- Change in quality of life from after left ventricular assist device implantation to after heart transplantation.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2003; 22: 1254-1267
- A typology of shared decision making, informed consent, and simple consent.Ann Intern Med. 2004; 140: 54-59
Grady KL, Stevenson LW, Pagani FD, Teuteberg J, Pamboukian SV, Birks E, et al. Beyond survival: recommendations from INTERMACS for assessing function and quality of life with mechanical circulatory support. 2012.
Rector TS, Taylor BC, Greer N, Rutks I. Use of left ventricular assist devices as destination therapy in end-stage congestive heart failure: a systematic review. 2012.
- Development and pilot testing of a patient decision aid for left ventricular assist device placement.VAD J. 2016; 2: 1
- Development and validation of a patient-centered knowledge scale for left ventricular assist device placement.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2016; 35: 768-776
- Decision aids for people facing health treatment or screening decisions.Cochrane Database of Syst Rev 3. 2009;
- Developing a quality criteria framework for patient decision aids: online international Delphi consensus process.BMJ. 2006; 333: 417
- The Stanford Integrated Psychosocial Assessment for Transplantation (SIPAT): a new tool for the psychosocial evaluation of pre-transplant candidates.Psychosomatics. 2012; 53: 123-132
- Patient-to-patient encounters: benefits and challenges.. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2013; 32: 658-659
- Validation of a decisional conflict scale.Med Decis Making. 1995; 15: 25-30
- Patient satisfaction with health care decisions: the Satisfaction With Decision Scale.Med Decis Making. 1996; 16: 58-64
- Validation of a decision regret scale.Med Decis Making. 2003; 23: 281-292
- Developing CollaboRATE: a fast and frugal patient-reported measure of shared decision making in clinical encounters.Patient Educ Couns. 2013; 93: 102-107
- The 9-item Shared Decision Making Questionnaire (SDM-Q-9). Development and psychometric properties in a primary care sample.Patient Educ Couns. 2010; 80: 94-99
- The Control Preferences Scale.Can J Nurs Res Arch. 1997; 29
- The Satisfaction With Life Scale.J Pers Assess. 1985; 49: 71-75
- Measuring acceptability of clinical decision rules: validation of the Ottawa Acceptability of Decision Rules Instrument (OADRI) in four countries.Med Decis Making. 2010; 30: 398-408
- An overview of randomization techniques: an unbiased assessment of outcome in clinical research.J Hum Reprod Sci. 2011; 4: 8
- 2012 update of the International Patient Decision Aids Standards (IPDAS) collaboration: background document.Chapter L. 2012; ([http://ipdas.ohri.ca/IPDAS_Background.pdf])
- Decision aids for people facing health treatment or screening decisions.Cochrane Database of Syst Rev 4. 2017; 10
- Effectiveness of an intervention supporting shared decision making for destination therapy left ventricular assist device: the DECIDE-LVAD randomized clinical trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2018;
- Physician preferences for aggressive treatment at the end of life and area-level health care spending: the Johns Hopkins Precursors Study.Gerontol Geriatr Med. 2017; 32333721417722328
- A review of ethical considerations for ventricular assist device placement in older adults.Aging Dis. 2013; 4: 100
Funding: This work was supported through a Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Program Award (1306-01769). All statements in this report, including its findings and conclusions, are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the PCORI, its Board of Governors, or its Methodology Committee.