After nearly two decades of stasis, the annual number of heart transplants performed in the US has increased each year since 2012, exceeding 3000 per year for the first time in 2016. Nonetheless, the supply of donor hearts is still inadequate to meet the demand. There are nearly 4000 candidates for heart transplantation on the current US waiting list, and the median time to transplant for a blood type O patient listed between 2011 and 2014 is 535 days.
1In this issue of the Journal of Cardiac Failure, two transplant centers describe case reports of the transplantation of Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) viremic donor hearts as a potential strategy for expanding the supply of donor organs.
Organ procurement and transplantation network based on data as of August 4, 2017.
Date accessed: August 7, 2017
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiac Failure
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Organ procurement and transplantation network based on data as of August 4, 2017.(Available at:)https://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/data/view-data-reports/national-data/#Date accessed: August 7, 2017
- Rational heart transplant from a hepatitis C donor: new antiviral weapons conquer the trojan horse.J Card Fail. 2017; 23: 765-767
- Accepting hearts from hepatitis C positive donor: can we expand the donor pool?.J Card Fail. 2017; 23: 762-764
- The American Society of Transplantation Consensus Conference on the use of hepatitis C viremic donors in solid organ transplantation.Am J Transplant. 2017; (Epub ahead of print)https://doi.org/10.1111/ajt.14381
- Utilization of organs from donors according to hepatitis C antibody and nucleic acid testing status: time for change.Am J Transplant. 2017; (Epub ahead of print)
- Donate life America registry report card.(Available at:)https://www.donatelife.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/2015-DLA_Annual-Report_FINAL-for-onscreen-viewing.pdf
- Systematic donor selection review process improves cardiac transplant volumes and outcomes.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016; 151: 238-243
Published online: August 25, 2017
Accepted: August 20, 2017
Received: August 20, 2017
© 2017 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.