- •Internet use and social media are widespread throughout society; however their application toward patients with heart failure is unknown.
- •Data from our own Mayo Clinic Social Media experience show that Facebook and Youtube might be most efficacious in patients with HF.
With the pervasive use of the internet and social media, the potential applicability toward patients with heart failure (HF) remains understudied. Here, we outline the general use of social media and some early work with the use of social media as well as data from our own Mayo Clinic Center for Social Media experience. Both enterprise-wide social media data as well as those specific to HF-related pages and posts appear to support the preferential use of Facebook and Youtube for potential benefit in patients with HF. Large-scale prospective studies are needed to confirm these anecdotal results, and to ensure we can optimally, yet safely, engage our patients with HF to improve their care.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiac Failure
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Social media update.2016
- Instagram's growth speeds up as it hits 700 million users.April 2017 (Available at:)
- Digital, social & mobile worldwide in 2015.Jan 2015 (Available at:)
- Quality of life in survivors of peripartum cardiomyopathy.Am J Cardiol. 2016; 118: 258-263
- Youtube for press.(Available at:)
- Youtube as a source of information on dialysis: a content analysis.Nephrology (Carlton). 2015; 20: 315
- Are video sharing web sites a useful source of information on hypertension?.J Am Soc Hypertens. 2014; 8: 481-490
- Youtube as a source of information on rhinosinusitis: the good, the bad and the ugly.J Laryngol Otol. 2013; 127: 749-754
- Effectiveness of Youtube as a source of medical information on heart transplantation.Interact J Med Res. 2013; 2: e28
- The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation.May 2011
- Trends in heart failure incidence and survival in a community-based population.JAMA. 2004; 292: 344-350
- A systematic review of transitional-care strategies to reduce rehospitalization in patients with heart failure.Heart Lung. 2016; 45: 100-113
- Get with the guidelines program participation, process of care, and outcome for Medicare patients hospitalized with heart failure.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2012; 10: 37-43
- The impact and implications of twitter for cardiovascular medicine.J Card Fail. 2017; 23: 266-267
Published online: July 13, 2017
Accepted: July 11, 2017
Received in revised form: July 10, 2017
Received: May 23, 2017
© 2017 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.