For many therapeutic interventions in contemporary cardiovascular medicine, from the treatment of dyslipidemia to the management of advanced heart failure, the prevailing wisdom is to enter into a shared decision making conversation with the patient.
1This very noble consideration is made without sufficient thought given to how a shared decision making conversation may or may not adequately create a mutual exchange of ideas and create an environment in which patient preferences, values, and goals are fully considered. Previous investigators have made clear the role of cognition and emotions in clinical decision making in various disciplines of medicine but less commonly do we consider these variables in the care of patients with cardiac diseases, including those with heart failure.
- Allen L.A.
- Stevenson L.W.
- Grady K.L.
- Goldstein N.E.
- Matlock D.D.
- Arnold R.M.
- et al.
Decision making in advanced heart failure.
Circulation. 2012; 125: 1928-1952
- Kiviniemi M.T.
- Ellis E.M.
Worry about skin cancer mediates the relation of perceived cancer risk and sunscreen use.
J Behav Med. 2014; 37: 1069-1074
- Waters E.A.
- McQueen A.
- Cameron L.D.
Perceived risk and its relationship to health-related decisions and behavior.
in: Martin L.R. DiMatteo M.R. The oxford handbook of health communication, behavior change, and treatment adherence. Oxford University Press, Oxford2013: 1-42
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiac Failure
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Decision making in advanced heart failure.Circulation. 2012; 125: 1928-1952
- Worry about skin cancer mediates the relation of perceived cancer risk and sunscreen use.J Behav Med. 2014; 37: 1069-1074
- Perceived risk and its relationship to health-related decisions and behavior.in: Martin L.R. DiMatteo M.R. The oxford handbook of health communication, behavior change, and treatment adherence. Oxford University Press, Oxford2013: 1-42
- The role of cognitive biases in the origins and maintenance of fear and anxiety disorders.in: Archer T. Nilsson L.-G. Aversion, avoidance, and anxiety: perspectives on aversively motivated behavior. Erlbaum, New York, NY1989: 195-221
- Defibrillator implantation in patients with nonischemic systolic heart failure.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 1221-1230
- Patients' attitudes and perceptions of implantable cardioverter-defibrillators: potential barriers to appropriate primary prophylaxis.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2012; 35: 1179-1187
- ACCF/HRS/AHA/ASE/HFSA/SCAI/SCCT/SCMR 2013 appropriate use criteria for implantable cardioverter-defibrillators and cardiac resynchronization therapy.Heart Rhythm. 2013; 10: 1-48
- Pre-ICD illness beliefs affect postimplant perceptions of control and patient quality of life.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2010; 33: 256-265
- Undertreatment of anxiety and depression in patients with an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator: impact on health status.Health Psychol. 2012; 31: 745-753
- Confirmation bias in sequential information search after preliminary decisions: an expansion of dissonance theoretical research on selective exposure to information.J Pers Soc Psychol. 2001; 80: 557-571
- Risk perception: main issues, approaches, and findings.in: Wright G. Ayton P. Subjective probability. Johen Wiley & Sons Ltd, New York1994: 295-320
- The risk construct.in: Yates J.F. Risk-taking behavior. John Wiley & Sons Ltd, New York1992: 1-25
- Health psychology: the search for pathways between behavior and health.Annu Rev Psychol. 2008; 59: 477-505
- Mood and memory.Am Psychol. 1981; 36: 129-148
- A meta-analysis of fear appeals: implications for effective public health campaigns.Health Educ Behav. 2000; 27: 591-615
Published online: May 22, 2017
Accepted: May 18, 2017
Received: May 17, 2017
© 2017 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.