Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Committee on the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Initiative on the Future of Nursing at the Institute of Medicine. The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health. 1st ed. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2011.
- Forecasting the future of cardiovascular disease in the United States: a policy statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2011; 123: 933-944
- Heart disease and stroke statistics—2010 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2010; 121: e46-e215
- Recent national trends in readmission rates after heart failure hospitalization.Circ Heart Fail. 2010; 3: 97-103
- Rehospitalizations among patients in the Medicare fee-for-service program.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 1418
- Multidisciplinary strategies for the management of heart failure patients at high risk for admission: a systematic review of randomized trials.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004; 44: 810-819
US Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics. Occupational Outlook Handbook 2010–2011. Available at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/. Accessed January 1, 2011.
- ACCF/AHA/HFSA 2011 survey results: current staffing profile of heart failure programs, including programs that perform heart transplant and mechanical circulatory support device implantation.J Card Fail. 2011; 17: 349-358
- Improving guideline adherence: a randomized trial evaluating strategies to increase beta-blocker use in heart failure.Circulation. 2003; 107: 2799-2804
- Nurse-led heart failure management improved quality of life and was cost-effective.Evid Based Nurs. 2009; 12: 59
- Cost-effectiveness of nurse-led disease management for heart failure in an ethnically diverse urban community.Ann Intern Med. 2008; 149: 540-548
- Nurse-led heart failure clinics improve survival and self-care behaviour in patients with heart failure: results from a prospective, randomised trial.Eur Heart J. 2003; 24: 1014-1023
- Comprehensive discharge planning and home follow-up of hospitalized elders: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 1999; 281: 613-620
- Transitional care of older adults hospitalized with heart failure: a randomized, controlled trial.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52: 675-684
- Evaluation of a nurse practitioner disease management model for chronic heart failure: a multi-site implementation study.Congest Heart Fail. 2012; 18: 64-71
- A multidisciplinary intervention to prevent the readmission of elderly patients with congestive heart failure.N Engl J Med. 1995; 333: 1190-1195
- Broadening the scope of nursing practice.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 193-196
Safriet BJ. Federal options for maximizing the value of advanced practice nurses in providing quality, cost-effective health care. Paper commissioned by the Committee on the RWJF Initiative on the Future of Nursing. In: The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health. 1st ed. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2011:443–75.
- Insurers’ contracting policies on nurse practitioners as primary care providers: the current landscape and what needs to change.Policy Polit Nurs Pract. 2006; 7: 216-226
This paper is being simultaneously copublished in Heart & Lung - The Journal of Acute and Critical Care, Volume 41, Issue 6.
See page 812 for disclosure information.