- •More than one-third of patients use post-acute care services after LVAD surgery.
- •Patients cared for in larger hospitals, in more populated areas, and in the northeastern United States are more likely to use post-acute care after LVAD.
- •Patients with diabetes, peripheral vascular disease, and those with longer hospital length of stay for LVAD surgery are at highest risk for readmission, but post-acute care use is not associated with differential readmission risk.
Methods and Results
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Trends in the use and outcomes of ventricular assist devices among medicare beneficiaries, 2006 through 2011.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 63: 1395-1404
- Trends in left ventricular assist device use and outcomes among Medicare beneficiaries, 2004–2011.Open Heart. 2014; 1: e000109
- Readmissions after ventricular assist device: etiologies, patterns, and days out of hospital.Ann Thorac Surg. 2013; 95: 1276-1281
- Readmissions after implantation of axial flow left ventricular assist device.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013; 61: 153-163
- Unplanned hospital readmissions after Heartmate II implantation: frequency, risk factors, and impact on resource use and survival.JACC Heart Fail. 2013; 1: 31-39
- Effectiveness of acute inpatient rehabilitation after left ventricular assist device placement.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 92: 621-626
- Use and out-of-pocket costs of insulin for type 2 diabetes mellitus from 2000 through 2010.JAMA. 2014; 311: 2331-2333
- Optum Labs: building a novel node in the learning health care system.Health Aff (Millwood). 2014; 33: 1187-1194
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- Ability of Medicare claims data to identify nursing home patients: a validation study.Med Care. 2008; 46: 1184-1187
- Post-acute care—the next frontier for controlling Medicare spending.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 692-694
- Inpatient rehabilitation improves outcomes for patients receiving left ventricular assist device.Inpatient Rehab Funct Improvement. 2014; 93: 860-868
- Rehospitalizations among patients in the Medicare fee-for-service program.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 1418-1428
- Thirty-day rehospitalizations after acute myocardial infarction: a cohort study.Ann Intern Med. 2012; 157: 11-18
- 30-day readmissions after coronary artery bypass graft surgery in New York State.JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2011; 4: 569-576
- Sixth INTERMACS annual report: a 10,000-patient database.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2014; 33: 555-564
Funding: Dr Dunlay is supported by a National Institutes of Health Career Development Award (K23 HL116643).
See page 822 for disclosure information.